This weekend flew by. Friday night was drop-in hockey followed by drinks and dinner. I collapsed into bed and slept HARD. The first week back to work after 10 days away…brutal. However, I am not complaining! I’ll take 10 days off any chance I get.
Saturday was spent sleeping in (which for me means any time past 7/7:30am) before my family came to visit. We did the usual brewery visit for lunch, followed by a little Christmas celebration in a little nearby downtown – face painting, sleigh rides, donut decorating, s’mores…the works.
I had a nice, quiet evening home alone. I watched the Illini royally screw up a considerable lead on #3 Maryland…on the road, followed by the movie Miracle – always a favorite. I was trying to get myself motivated to do some online shopping, but the 2+ hour movie flew by and suddenly, it was going on midnight. I’m becoming such the little night owl!
I drank tea like a little old lady and did some foam rolling. My quads are tender to the touch after the whopping I gave them this week. And my #6 seed team plays #1 in the semifinals tonight. I wanted to be ready as can be. Or at least pain-free.
The girls currently have a few friends over and they are, by and large, entertaining themselves. I just peeled and sectioned 12 clementines and put them in the basement where they’re playing. We’ll see how many are left…
The playdate has been distraction enough for me to get up a blog post – my 5th and final chili contest entry for 2019. This Sweet Bourbon Chili comes from my friend and fellow chili connoisseur who just so happens to be named Nicole. She’s super and so is her chili – I’ve tried several and this one is certainly a top contender. Thanks, Nicole!
Sweet Bourbon Chili
Author: Nicole Morrissey
Serves: 6 servings (1½ cups each)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp chili seasoning (recipe below)
- ⅓ cup bourbon
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans (undrained)
Chili Seasoning Mix:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onion, bell pepper, and turkey for 8-10 minutes, breaking up with a spoon until cooked through.
- Stir in chili seasoning and cook an additional minute. Pour in bourbon and deglaze the pan, scraping up and browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce; stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour. Add beans the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Recipe from Nicole; seasoning mix from All Recipes
Serving size: 1½ cups Calories: 284 Fat: 6.2 Carbohydrates: 20.7 Sugar: 7.7 Sodium: 1,163 Fiber: 5.5 Protein: 19.8 Cholesterol: 53
Weekly Menu: December 8th – 12th