I’ve got a serious case of the Sundays. I’ve been off work since a WEEK AGO Thursday and I’m not even sure I can prepare myself for the chaos of the week ahead. I fully and completely checked out of work for 10 days and tonight, the to-do list is swarming my thoughts.
We did the Thanksgiving Tour of 2019 by starting with a night in Chicago, 5 nights in Cancun, 3 nights in central Illinois, and a day trip back to Chicago before returning back to Michigan late last night. I’m tired just typing that all out.
I did more laundry today than I have in YEARS and I also spent more on groceries than I have in a long, long time. Aldi didn’t see me coming! It probably goes without saying that there was lots of fruits and vegetables in the cart, much unlike my time at an all-inclusive resort.
While fruits and vegetables were not staples in my diet for that period of time, I did exercise some serious self-control while on the resort. There were books to be read, naps to be had, and tennis to be played. I diversified myself well!
But if you’re anything like me, returning from some time away and out of the kitchen is met with a lure back to the kitchen and a to the lifestyle you know and love. I mean, I missed my Peloton like CRAZY and even got a personal best on a 60-minute ride today – was not expecting that one.
About a month ago, we’d just gotten back from a weekend away and were craving some truly good-for-you food. With my informal goal of including more legumes in my diet in 2019, this recipe came at the perfect time. It was SO GOOD and enjoyed by the whole family. I’m sure your crew will love it, too!
Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry
Author: Nicole Morrissey
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 head of garlic, minced (10–12 cloves)
- 1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- ½ to 1 tsp cayenne powder (used less to reduce spice)
- 1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and coriander and stir constantly for ~45 seconds. Add the garlic and allow to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, and salt to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add the lentils and cayenne powder, plus 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let it simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Stir the pot a few times to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom.
- Once the lentils are soft, add the coconut milk and cherry tomatoes and bring the pot back to a simmer. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
Serving size: ⅙ recipe Calories: 280 Fat: 15.2 Carbohydrates: 29.7 Sugar: 9.5 Sodium: 792 Fiber: 10.8 Protein: 10.5 Cholesterol: 0
Weekly Menu: December 1st – 5th
- Sunday: crock pot BBQ ribs, mashed potatoes, corn bread
- Monday: pesto tortellini with scallops and broccoli
- Tuesday: out for Paw Patrol!
- Wednesday: work dinner
- Thursday: Zesty Italian Soup