I got home from work and a beer with some hockey friends to find some rambunctious children wanting to “play” with their Halloween candy. At this stage, they’re much more into counting and organizing it all than actually eating it. Believe you me, I’m not complaining.
This has allowed me to make may way through many of the Twix, Almond Joys, and Kit Kats – my favorites. Oops 🙂
Mark has been traveling EXTENSIVELY for work…to the tune of NEVER EVER HOME. Needless to say, my cooking has been more of a gather-and-assemble deal than actual cooking. Thinking he would be home tonight, I planned and shopped for a recipe, hoping we’d sneak in one meal together this week as a family…however, I forgot he had a work dinner.
He also has another man cold. Lord help us all.
So while the girls counted and organized their Halloween candy on the kitchen island (I might actually miss it when they no longer both sit up there!), I turned on Pandora and whipped up dinner. Fresh vegetables were calling my name. We’ll now have leftovers for the next few days and that’s always a beautiful thing.
I can’t remember where I found this recipe for Chorizo-Stuffed Bell Peppers but I’m a huge fan of stuffed peppers in general. It’s a take on the whole all-in-one concept I love so very much. And oh by the way, anything with chorizo is bound to be pretty darn tasty. My mom and brother love soy chorizo and I do too, it just so happens to be hard to come by here in small town Michigan. Put your twist on this one, or go for the real deal. Either way, you will love!
Chorizo-Stuffed Bell Peppers
Author: Nicole Morrissey
Serves: 8 stuffed pepper halves
- 4 large bell peppers, halved and membrane and seeds removed
- ½ lb Mexican chorizo
- 1 (8.8 oz) package microwavable Spanish rice (2 cups)
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- ½ Tbsp chili powder
- 6 oz Monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 green onions, sliced and divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place pepper halves cut side up on pachment; set aside.
- Add the chorizo to a large, nonstick skillet and sauté over medium heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until fully cooked.
- To the skillet, add the microwaved rice, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, chili powder, 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded cheese, and half of the green onions. Stir to combine.
- Fill each pepper with the chorizo mixture, mounding the filling and gently packing into the pepper halves.
- Bake for 30 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 2 ounces of cheese; bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining sliced green onions before serving.
Serving size: 1 prepared stuffed pepper half Calories: 305 Fat: 14.3 Carbohydrates: 29.4 Sugar: 4.1 Sodium: 645 Fiber: 5.3 Protein: 14.8 Cholesterol: 36